Interviewing takes a lot of practice. In order to be comfortable on the spot it is going to require that you do your work up front before the interview even takes place.
I have compiled this list of 8 good interview tips that will help you be confident and land that job. Also check out this post if you are looking for help with phone interview questions.
Good Interview Tips
- Do your homework. If you are going to interview with a new company it is important that you have looked for a lot of information regarding that company before you set foot into their office. Many interviewers will start off asking what you know about their company. If you fail this first question you might just as well leave the interview and go back to the job boards.
- Print out a few copies of your resume and cover letter. When you go into the interview you should have all of your needed material with you. If you have a portfolio make sure that it is in great condition when you go for the interview.
- Research who is interviewing you. It is always good if you can to look up the person that is interviewing you online before you walk in. This gives you an advantage because people always play to their strengths in an interview. If you are interviewing with the CTO he is probably going to be looking more at your technical capabilities rather than other aspects. Understanding where the interviewer is coming from is very useful as you try to answer their questions.
- Think beyond the norm. Interviewers are going to be asking you some pretty off the wall questions that are made to trip you up. It is important that you get used to this type of question well in advance. Doing mind twisters and thinking beyond your background is very important. Most interviewers are not as interested in what you already know, they are looking for the direction your learning is going in and how you can apply what you already know to the world.
- Relax. Many times when people are in interviews they start to tense up. Before you get there, let some energy out, do something that will help you relax.
- Take a deep breath. You don’t have to answer every question that the interviewer asks within 2 seconds of the person asking. Don’t sit there and wait for night to come before you answer but collect your thoughts before you dive into the first answer that pops into your mind. This will save you from saying something that isn’t right and will also show the company that you take the time to think through your solutions rather than diving in head first.
- Look the part. You are selling yourself for those 30 minutes. You need to take a good long look at yourself and go over every aspect of your attire with a fine toothed comb. Matching sock, tie, belt, brushed teeth. It all has to be in line. These all directly reflect your personal branding efforts.
- Be on time. You have no excuse for being late. Always aim to show up to an interview 15 minutes early. You can wait in the parking lot for those 15 minutes but if you are late you have already shown the interviewer that you are not that interested in the position.
Good interview tips are mostly common sense. You have to take a moment and put yourself in the shoes of the person that is interviewing you. They want someone that can stand out and that they believe will directly contribute to the well being of their company. You need to do everything you can to make sure you are what they are looking for.
Best of luck with your interviews, refer back to these good interview tips at any time! Also check out our other interview tips from previous posts!
- How to Answer Interview Questions
- Interview Preparation Guide
- What You Need to Know About the New Hiring Process
- Using Social media to develop your personal brand